Saturday, April 19, 2014

Last Blog on Freedom and Enslavement Huck and Fin

These last few chapters had an immense amount of freedom and enslavement.  In  chapter 31 the reader can see that Huck is going through an internal emotional pain because though he is finally free from the two con men, Jim isn't.  Jim has been captured and taken back to his "roots" and is yet again denied his "freedom" which him and Huck were working so hard to gain.  We can see how he feels in the beginning of the next chapter when he realizes that he rather be dead than alone an no one to share it with (Jim).  I like how Tom and Huck reunite again for a good cause (freeing Jim).  In the later chapters while they tried to rescue Jim, I was beginning to become irritated with Tom.  I felt that he taught that the entire mission was one of his "adventures" and that Jim immediate rescue was not that important.  I was disgusted that he (Tom) even contemplated on leaving the mission of Jim's rescue to their kids.  "He said it was the best fun he ever had in his life, and the most intellectural; and said if he only could see his way to it we keep it up all the rest of our lives and leave Jim to our children to get out" (Twain 278).  To me I felt as if he was just toying around with Jim just for pleasure; and that is "sick" because you should not play with someone's  freedom just because they are a slave.  Maybe if they followed Huck, less risky plan they wouldn't have gotten into such a huge mess of figuring how to help Jim escape, which backfires when Tom gets shot, hindering Jim's escape.  Though Tom was stupid and endangered his well being, it was kind of Jim to stay back and help, this shows how humane he is (which is what society didn't think too much of at that time).  I found it kind of weird how Huck sees what Jim has done and considers him "white" on the inside, meaning good.  I found it ironic how "black on the inside" meant that you were bad.  I did not necessarily look at Huck's thinking as if it were racist, maybe "white-means pure" and "black means dark and evil" which is commonly associated in our culture now.  My heart was filled with joy when I found out that Jim was set free due to Ms. Watson's will (I love how you wait this long to tell us this Tom-this boy plays too much).  "Old Miss Watson died two months ago, and she was ashamed she ever was going to sell him down the river, and so; and she set him free in her will" (Twain 319).  It was about time that Jim was free, and I loved how the novel ended on that note, no more struggling for freedom, he was given it (though I don't like the sound of someone being granted free- it was nice in this situation).  Jim's truly get the praise that he receives in the end because I felt as if it all truly was in his characteristics.  This was what we should take from this novel, no matter who you are you race does not defy only your characteristics, and I feel that Jim portrayed this very well til the end, even in hard situations.  HOPE YA"LL ENJOYED MY LAST POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great last post! I like how you mentioned how Huck is going through a lot of emotional pain inside of him due to the fact the he has become free and Jim has not yet. I also agree with youthat at some points in the novel, Tom's overall character bothered me. However, I still appriciated how he was a part helping Huck to free Jim from the torture he has had to deal with!

    ReplyDelete