Sunday, November 17, 2013

Scarlet Letter (Chapter 5-8 Pgs. 75-114)


         In Chapter five(5) my heart truly goes out to Hester.  A few years have passed and and she is no longer a prisoner in a sense.  Why do I contradict myself? Well, it's simple Hester is released from the prison and is free to reside anywhere, but she chooses to stay in the horrid community where she still secludes herself.  She resides in a small cabin in the town's suburbia(outside the town).  Why does she want to live in the town still?  Is she there for someone? "But there is a fatality, a feeling so irresistible and inevitable that it has the force of doom, which almost invariably compels human beings to linger around and haunt, ghost like, the spot where some great and marked event has given the color to their lifetime;and still the more irresistibly, the darker the tinge that saddens it"(Hawthorne 76).  This quote answers my pondering a bit.  I love how Hester continues living by doing what she loves which is being a seamstress.  She sews for the people in the town raging from different social backgrounds.  But it doesn't matter where they stand they all look at her the same way.  This angers me, because who the HELL are they to judge someone!  Especially the poor people who gladly take the cloths which are provided for them but look at the provider with disgust.  Who are they to judge Hester(or anyone for a matter of fact) they are poor and they obviously got poor by doing something; but Christians are preached not to judge the poor or where they are coming from just help them(Hester helped them) only God can judge us(the town isn't following the Christian ways).  Gosh! They are such hypocrites.  I find it fascinating but sad that Hester has never seamed a white dress, perhaps for a wedding.  I feel that the townspeople think that her impurity will be bad other pure women that are getting married to a man that they will later have a child with uncensored.
           In Chapter six(6) we finally meet Pearl, Hester's daughter.  Pearly is obviously the reason for Hester roaming around town with the Letter "A".  The name Pearl is so beautiful it  must means something to Hester.  "But she named the infant Pearl, as being of great price-purchased with all she had-her mother's only treasure!" (Hawthorne 85).  In the wicked world Hester lives in I felt that Pearl gave her hope.  She loved Pearl.  Pearl was all she had.  Pearl wasn't like the horrid Puritans that judged her.  In fact I felt as if Pearl was her body guard (who would've thought). It's funny how I don't compare Pearl to the Puritans.  She was far from being what the Puritan community wanted.  Well who can blame her she's been living in the town's outskirts with and adultours "A" women(joking!).  At first I really didn't know to interpret Pearl's characteristics.  Do I love her (like I do Hester) or do I dislike her?  Even though she is described as being  like her mother,which is good, her attitude disturbs me.  Hester should control her when they are out in public, even though she means well by defending her mom when kids laugh at them her actions are too much.  Hester has enough to worry about when she comes into town, she obviously doesn't want people making fun of her child(thinking that she is dysfunctional).  I tend to forget that Pearl has grown up, and it hits me when she talks(I feel that for a little girl she is a smart ass).  When Hester questions who her daughter is, Pearl disturbingly (well to me) replies "O, I am your little Pearl"(Hawthorne 94) and while she answers this she laughs and hopes up and down menacingly(this creeps me out).  My feelings about Pearl is a bit iffy. 

                                        How I view Pearl (Smart mouth)

             In Chapter seven(7) Hester visits the Governors house to give him gloves that embroiled.  On the way there they are met by the unpleasant kids.  But they doesn't bother Pearl.  She defends herself, I feel that she is growing up to be an independent women(a defiance to the community).  Well done Hester.  In the Governor's house I find it both disturbing and funny how Pearl points out a mirror that shows distorted body part.  It find it ironic how they both see the ugly in each other(HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!) Pearl points out how the "A" on her mother's chests which saddens Hester, but Hester is also disturbed by "that look of naughty merriment, with so much breadth and intensity of effect, that made Hester Prynne feel as if it cold not be the image of her own child, but of an imp " (Hawthorne 102) to her Pearl looks devilish.  Why does Hester look at Pearl as a devilish child at times?

                       This is what Hester probably sees in Pearl at times

           In Chapter eight(8) we finally meet the Governor,and his guests.  A lot happens in this chapter which fascinates me.  Hester hides behind the curtain so the Governor and guests can't see her, but Pearl. Why does she do that?  Does she want the people to see the beauty of the child before they see the sinner that created such a thing?  Well, she finally reveals herself and when she does they reveal their plans for her.  I felt for Hester when they want to take Pearl away from her.  Pearl was her everything , she was the only person at that point that loved her no matter who she was.  I love how Hester was so quick to defend herself when the Governor gave a valid reasoning to why they wanted to take Pearl away from her.  I shredded a tear when Hester said that she  was the only one that can truly teach her how to be a good Christian(by not following her).  She would do anything for her daughter( even die) and to me that is the GREATEST LOVE OF ALL (Whitney Houston moment).  Also did I mention, I how much I love Arthur Dimmesdale.  He is the only one in that ludicrous town that can see the true beautiful relationship between Hester and Pearl (now that's my kind of man).  As for Chillingsworth, he needs to chill (again I make myself laugh),  he still obviously has it out for the man that helped with the creation of Pearl.  You would think that after a few years he would forget.  I guess not, only time can tell what he finds out.
                                                                      Until the next blog friends
                                                                      Sincerely,
                                                                      If Your Girl Only Knew(Chin)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pictures! Great job! What do you think about the fact that Hester has taken such care, and almost love, in crafting her "A"? Do you think she feels that she deserves her punishment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that in someway she doesn't fully think that she deserves the punishment. She obviously acknowledges what she did, but I don't fully believe that what she did or who she did it with was truly wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice thoughts! I like to think of Hester as a feminist hero. Use a gender lens while reading her character. She is quite a gal!

    ReplyDelete